Hit&Run

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Andreas
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: Hit&Run

Post by Andreas » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:35 pm

No, The Sims was developed solely by Maxis. They had some really big hits (practically every version of SimCity, and a couple of other SimGames), but around 2000 or so, they had to go through some hard times, producing quite a few flops. EA saw the chance, bought the rights and acted as a publisher, but the Maxis Studios remained in California Plaza, Walnut Creek (quite a popular location among the SimCity players :) ). The team was integrated in EA's team in Redwood Shores not before 2004, so for the time between the purchase and the move, they stayed practical independent on the development side, only restricted by budget, release dates etc.
Andreas

Bartman101
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Bartman101 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:24 pm

is the sims a good game
Seshennu
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Seshennu » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:35 pm

Well, I'm not sure about the original Sims as I've never played it, but I love Sims 2. I think the best part of it though isn't the actual gameplay, which can get repetitive (not to mention buggy..!), but the way you can customise the game using custom content made by other players (or yourself if you're one of those talented types).

I've got more clothes, hairstyles, new jobs, and furniture for my Sims than I can count. ^^; They live in luxury.

Soo... Good game? Depends on how you look at it. Some take the game as-is and wouldn't dream of adding to it. Me, I think it's good, but it's only great after making a few changes here and there, and way over there in the back, too.  ;)

**Edited from here down.
Oooh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me, Andreas. I've never been one to follow the companies behind the video games. My knowledge of that sort of thing can easily be summarized as follows:

Maxis = Sims; Sony = PS2; Bill Gates = Hell...which is run by my computer's OS.  :)
Last edited by Seshennu on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wuzzuh? You mean she frequents the Pit?
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:45 pm

Spawn wrote: is the sims a good game
A lot of people tell me so (my sister, for one). Personally, I never got into it. A bit too mundane for my tastes. (Translation: not enough dragons and weird beasties.)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:46 pm

I didn't have the time or patience for it, and since switching to Linux UI've not really bothered with games much. I wish I did. It looks like an excellent game. :)

Oh well. Maxis seem to be releasing ports of their games for Linux, so I may still have a chance.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Andreas

Post by Andreas » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:53 pm

Seshennu wrote: Oooh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me, Andreas. I've never been one to follow the companies behind the video games. My knowledge of that sort of thing can easily be summarized as follows:
Neither do I... But I love one game in particular - SimCity (SimCity 4 at the moment, to be precise), and since I'm also working for a SimCity site I know this particular story quite well. The Sims is not that appealing to me, but SimCity 4 is as customizable with thousands of great downloads (i. e. there are people who re-created the World Trade Center in every detail all the way down to the shop's names of the WTC Plaza - it took over a year to complete this project).
Andreas

Seshennu
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Seshennu » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:43 pm

Wow... That sounds like quite an accomplishment.  :)
Wuzzuh? You mean she frequents the Pit?
papa smurf
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by papa smurf » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:15 pm

Black_raven wrote: hehe I have random Bart games.  Both Bart Vs.... ones and a random Bart one where it picks out different games randomly.  It was very random X)
I had that game it rocked, like once you where a pig, and a biker it was preety good.
Smurfs are CRAZY GOOD!..................................  i love  me some smurfs. well i guess 0 is better then -2...... not a much better mind you,... but a little
Tigersrock144
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by Tigersrock144 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:39 pm

;D
yeah I liked being the dinosaur :)
If you wish to add me on your msn contact list, Please notify me first by sending me a note or something
Thank you
the stranger
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by the stranger » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:19 pm

Both Hit and Run and Road Rage are good games.  I love pulling them out once in a while and going nuts.  haha.
"I am so smart, I am so smart, S-M-R-T - I mean S-M-A-R-T" -Homer