Isacc Hayes throws rattle out of pram

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Isacc Hayes throws rattle out of pram

Post by gkscotty » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:56 pm

Singer Isaac Hayes is to stop providing the voice for a character in cartoon South Park because he objects to its "inappropriate ridicule" of religion.

Oh please. Nobody who's worked on South Park over it's 10 year history has any right to act offended at ANYTHING AT ALL.
Stone said: "In 10 years and over 150 episodes of South Park, Isaac never had a problem with the show making fun of Christians, Muslim, Mormons or Jews.

"He got a sudden case of religious sensitivity when it was his religion featured on the show."

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Isacc Hayes throws rattle out of pram

Post by archonix » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:02 pm

Little hypocritical there.
* Commisar Geranovich , christian, enjoyed the Jesus vs Satan grudgematch episode quite a bit
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:12 pm

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Vulgaris_Prime
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Vulgaris_Prime » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:43 pm

Back from the dead!
Bothead
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Bothead » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:55 pm

He's just upset that his religion was insulted. Whatever he believes in is fine by me, but he's just foul because they made fun of his religion. I'm kind of dissapointed that Chef might be gone, but there have been a lot of episodes which did not even feature Chef, so there's no big difference.
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Liverpool European Champions 2005. Go on the Kop!
Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Officer 1BDI » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:20 pm

Aw man, I miss my Bori.  :(

Er, I mean, what was Hayes thinking!?

Someone at NH.net mentioned that Hayes may have been pressured by fellow scientologists to drop the show.  Given his previous opinion of the episode, that doesn't sound like such a far-fetched idea.

I've always felt a tad guilty about laughing at South Park taking the mickey out of Catholicism, but at the end of the day, it's just satire.  I do think Hayes is upholding a double-standard, though, since he's crying foul about Stone and Parker mocking religions in general, and he failed to bring up the issue until  his own religion was taken in turn.
Last edited by Officer 1BDI on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:22 pm

There are no heroes. They're all Scientologists.

Seems I'm not the only one who finds the idea of a South Park cast member quitting because the show offends him intensely ironic.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by aoifestorm » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:26 pm

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  He can't quit!  He just can't.

His voice on the show, has brought me so much joy over the years, especially the Chef songs.

What a ridiculous reason to quit, also.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
Tony_Baritone

Post by Tony_Baritone » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:51 pm

They didn't pressure Nancy to quit after "The Joy of Sect", so this doesn't make much sense...
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:55 pm

Shirt-Guy Tone wrote: They didn't pressure Nancy to quit after "The Joy of Sect", so this doesn't make much sense...
True. Though I can't help but feel that Bart's instant-brainwashing was a subtle hit.  :)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:20 am

Well, I cant say much about Sciecological-bla bla-stuff and church's. But even I felt kinda mad when they took the perverbial buscuit out of Canada on the movie. It wasnt intended but it did seem aimed towards a large population of normal people.

So Chef whatever you got cooking, good luck. No argument from me.
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
missygal21880

Post by missygal21880 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:17 pm

This would be amusing if it wasn't so sad.  The Chef character was such an intregal part of South Park for such a long time - they've been moving gradually away from using him as the show's become more and more politically outspoken, but for the mid-seasons he was a frequently used character.

What amuses me: his announcing it in just enough time so that one of the new episodes coming out next week can be foccused especially on him.  The only question is, will Parker and Stone take:

A): The high road and do no episode about him because people expect them to.

B): Do something horrible to Chef (eaten alive by Scientologist zombies?)?

C): Take an indirect route and write kind of vaugely about the incident through other characters (Say, Cartman gets/wins a job as a VA on a show that's kindasorta like South Park, and has a great time being his usual un-PC self until they make fun of his idol - I'm not sure if it's Mel Gibson or Hitler at this point, but it could be, for the joke's sake, Issac Hayes - and he walks off the show in a huff.  Yes, it's not brilliant, but I'm not Parker and Stone!)
djwhitaker2004

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:48 pm

My family told me last night & I'm started to be worry. This could be worster as the cast of Simpsons were on strikes 2 years ago.
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.
tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by tommy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:55 pm

Indeed!

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."

They still got it  :D
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:21 pm

tommy wrote: Indeed!

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun! Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies. Curses and drat! You have obstructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail! Hail Xenu!!!

Trey Parker and Matt Stone, servants of the dark lord Xenu."

They still got it  :D

*Chris thinks this is the most brilliant thing she has ever read.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon