How to draw Homer

Discuss art techniques and styles here. If you need tips or have any questions about artistic style or want to show people some new skills, this is the place.
Morpheus306

How to draw Homer

Post by Morpheus306 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:56 am

Ok so I finally got around to making a Homer semi-tutorial. I drew a head and then how to construct it. As well as the body and how that is constructed. If you're drawing these characters, just remember to use basic shapes and to always always always construct your drawings. Some details for Homer are the same for every character, such as the pupils, the nose is a sausage shape, the ear location. The 'M' in homer's hair is always done with perspective on it. The same with his colar. His top hairs always follow an angle depending on how homer is facing. Also, the mouth is nice and big, it seems like every homer drawing I see his mouth is too small. And these are plump characters, so make him solid. Of course you want all your drawings regardless to be solid. Hope this helps, enjoy!
Attachments
HowtoHomer.jpg
Marco

Re: How to draw Homer

Post by Marco » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:44 am

First of all welcome to SFWC Morpheus.  ;D

All that you said in your post has to be taken very seriously when drawing simpsons characters and Homer in particular imho.
The only things I just dont agree with are the shoulders, imo too low, and the mouth issue. I don't know about others, but to me that mouth is just too big and tall, making his whole head look taller than usual. This is one of the things that imho has been worsened with simpsons "looks", going on with the seasons. Especially noticeable on this particularity of Homer's head, or Lisa's overbite... but it's just personal tastes in the end... i think the Simpsons of the earlier seasons looked "cuter" (yes, even homer) and more cartoony. But this is just a rant that has not much to do with your tutorial.  ;)
* SimpReal feels bad for not having done anything else after the Lisa head tutorial.
Last edited by Marco on Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:01 am

Rants are fun.

But hey, it's nice to see how a professional does it. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:17 pm

Its a pretty good tutorial, but I stand by what I said in Jakes comic thread.

Anyway... I'll be possitive. I did learn a few things that I didnt know before, like the 1st Head 2nd Head 3rd Head thing to measure hs height. And I never knew they where purposly drew cock-eyed, I thought it was an acident (I'll stick to 'normal', whatever normal is anymore). The collar idea is good, I've seen some one else do it and I forgot who it was.

But, and theres always a big fat but in my posties, it cant really be done on paper. I dont know why the construction lines are used so often. Fair enough on a computer, its just a case of zooming in and deleting the lines you dont want, but I dont have a microscope handy anymore.

Anyway... I dont want to sound like I'm trying to get at you at every opertunity. The art is as I'd expect from a Simpsons worker, let alone an experianced artist. I hope you continue to show us some of your pictures
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:36 pm

Hi Morph!  Welcome to the GFC, glad to see you here! :)

I have to say, one of the things I don't like about modern Simpsons is just how big their mouths/lower faces are, it's just something about the design that doesn't appeal to me as much as the earlier designs.

It's a very useful tutorial though, it's got one or two things in it I didn't know!

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.