What movies are your favourite, and why?

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
Itchy
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Itchy » Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:43 pm

Here's a list of my favourites and why I loved them:

Return Of The Living Dead Part 2
Always been a fan of zombie movies, and this one has both comedy and horror and the way they killed the zombies in the end was hillarious.

Friday The 13th Part 6 -Jason Lives
Jason kills a lot of teenagers on a way that made me laugh
all through the film.

Who framed Roger Rabitt?
Excellent animations and Roger is also a great character.

Okay, that was mine, what about you?
Extreme Itchy and Scratchy now with 29% more pointless violence than before.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Re: What movies are your favourite, and why?

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:10 pm

"The Truman Show"
Probably one of the best movies about television ever done. It's not only fun to watch as the history develops, but it's great to see how things work on the "backstage"...

"Angel Heart"
Cool! I watched this movie on school, and it had me on my nerves! It's one of the very few movies that will stay on my mind for a long time...

"The Matrix"
Great plot, great action, great effects. It became even better after a discussion about it on the Philosophy class, when we compared it to the myth of the cave (I hope you know if I said it right).

"Armageddon"
So absurd, so awful, so ridiculous and so full of plot devices that it even becomes a good movie... ;)

Well... I guess this is it. What about you?
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:11 pm

So now we know where you get your inspiration from... ;D

Alright, mine?  Well I have a lot...

The Terminator.  Arnie had too many lines in T2, and the original is always the best.  He makes a good robot. ;D

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.  Everything a Trek film should be, and then some.  The space battle scenes are definitive for the entire scifi space genre, and no film apart from Star Wars has managed to match them.

Mad Max, purely for the silliness.  Any film that can be this silly and still have a semi-serious plot deserves accolade of some sort. ;D

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back.  ANH wasn't so well acted; this one had the best plot out of the original trilogy, and the bitter-sweet ending always appeals to me.  It's easy to do tradegy, but tradegy without hope isn't much fun and Empire had the hope.

And now you know where I get my inspiration. ;)

Next!
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:36 pm

I also watched part of "The Matrix" in Philosophy class (though *our* teacher put it in relation to Berkeley's "esse est percipi" theory). And, of course, I also love "The Empire Strikes Back". Heh, who could have thought that Darth Vader was really Luke's SHUT YOUR MOUTH!  ;)

My own favourites, then... I'm not listing the ones I like that you guys have already mentioned, and this is very preliminary. It might change tomorrow.

"Battle Royale"
So unremittently bleak, yet so full of dark humour. If you don't often see Japanese films (obs. it's live action), I can disclose that it's a bit like an episode of Survivor, with teenagers and guns. The ending is a bit weak though.

"Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"
OK, so it's not as good as the book. What is? It still had me spellbound. Great plot (of course), perfect actors, and a beautiful soundtrack to top it off.

"Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail"
Best. Python. Ever.

"South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut"
I didn't believe it before I saw it, but it's actually a work of South Park with drama, message and satire. Plus, of course, humour. The whole cinema almost collapsed to our laughs during a certain song number. Very, very good songs too. And not just about uncles.

As I said before, I'll think about more ones... hmmm, maybe I'd be better off if we were talking about books.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:24 pm

Lets see...

"The Shawshank Redemption" - It flat-out rocks. Not in the rock and roll sense, but in the great acting, direction, pacing and story sense.

"The Usual Suspects" - An all-but-perfect film.

"Monty Python and the Holy Grail" - Obvious enough.

"Princess Mononoke" and "Wings of Honneamise" - Tied for my fave animé.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:53 pm

You can consider those part of my list too... ;)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:17 am

Ones That Have Already Been Mentioned:

Shawshank Redemption-  Morgan Freeman is a great actor, and the sequence near the end (don't want to spoil it) is absolutely wonderful.

Usual Suspects-  Kevin Spacey rocks, and it simply had The Best Ending Ever.

The Truman Show-  This is the movie that made me respect Jim Carrey.

Others:

And Now For Something Completely Different/Life Of Brian/Holy Grail-  Monty Python rocks, plain and simple.

Blade Runner-  This is how I love my scifi best: dark, moody, atmospheric, and plausible.

Galaxy Quest-  Best Star Trek spoof EVER.

O Brother, Where Art Thou-  Great American folk music, George Clooney at his sexiest, a really lovable character in Delmar, and all-in-all its an absolutely hysterical adaption of "The Odyssey".

Yellow Submarine-  Yeah, so it's a trippy silly cartoon featuring The Beatles.  I love it anyway.

A Hard Day's Night-  Another Beatles movie!  I like this one because it's clever, funny and is really artsy in its use of black-and-white/shadows style.

Twice Upon A Time-  A witty and silly animated movie by, of all people, George Lucas.  Cut-paper animation that preceeded 'South Park', lovable characters, and an interesting fable of a plot.

Pirates of Penzance-  I like Gilbert and Sullivan, and Kevin Kline makes a sexy/silly Pirate King.  Great music and campiness.

Will think of others..... ;D

Oh, Chris, speaking of LOTR:  When my brother and I went to the movies the other day, the local theater was playing some music before the previews started.  They always do this, and they always use songs/scores from movies.  When we were there, they played at least one song from LOTR.  I don't know if it was 'May It Be' or what since my family left at the beginning of the credits when we saw it, but the song absolutely kicked ass.  Nice build up, and chanting in Elvish is neat.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Marco

Post by Marco » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:44 am

The secret with these questions is, don't read at what the other said and don't think much about it, so:

Spaceballs: The Ultimate Comic Film!

Blues Brothers: Never tired of watching it. Great music, wacky, carcrashes, and John Belushi! Too bad they did a sequel  :uhdrop:

Aliens 2: Action, Guns, Action, Monsters, Action, Bad Ass Marines, Action, Suspance. And great Direction.

The Killer: A pre-holliwood John Woo film, where the *real* action-movies were born. A cult.

Final Fantasy: Just for the CG (but the rest is great too, especially for FF7 fans  ;D ) .

Blade Runner: Dunno, i just love it.

*bonus*

DEAD ALIVE - BRAIN DEAD: Stupid, senseless, gibberish, comic, disgusting blood&gore from the first to the last minute.  And the Direction is from Peter Jackson (aw, too bad he became a serious director ;D )
Priest:I'm the Ninja of God!*goes flying-kicking zombies*
Last edited by Marco on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:02 am

You're so right, Sheana. Oh, I forgot. Also "Yellow Submarine" (I've loved it since I was a kid and didn't understand about drugs, even though it had less drug references than "Fellowship of the Ring"), and "The 6th Sense" (the scariest film I've seen for some time).
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:02 am

UHF
Easily one of THE funniest movies ever made. Weird Al rocks. (But then, you already knew that...and if you didn't, SHAME!)

The Star Wars Saga
Enough said.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Sheer hilarity! Combining a great premise with a ton of laughs, you can't help but love this movie.

Ghostbusters
Again, enough said.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:30 am

Oh, better add "The Princess Bride" to my list. Best swordfights EVER!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:34 am

The 6th Sense was pretty creepy.  Kept me up that night.

The Princess Bride? :D  That movie was pretty funny, but I liked the book better.  Especially with the marraige scene.

Wuv.....Twoo wuuuv... :D

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:34 am

Don't forget Labyrinth.   Cool movie...
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Itchy
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Itchy » Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:05 pm

DEAD ALIVE - BRAIN DEAD: Stupid, senseless, gibberish, comic, disgusting blood&gore from the first to the last minute.  And the Direction is from Peter Jackson (aw, too bad he became a serious director ;D )
Priest:I'm the Ninja of God!*goes flying-kicking zombies*
I KICK ASS FOR THE LORD!
I remebered that film. A lawnmover is a very good weapon to get rid of zombies with. I used to like it, but to mutch gore is just silly. Good zombie makeup though.
Extreme Itchy and Scratchy now with 29% more pointless violence than before.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:17 pm

What about "Evil Dead"? "Hail to the king, baby!" "Gimme some sugar, baby!" "Klaetu Barada... ni*coughcoughcough*..."

[zombies rise from the grave]

Uh, heh heh, I forgot something in my lawnmower... [running footsteps and a motor starting]
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon