Personal Trainer

Discuss art techniques and styles here. If you need tips or have any questions about artistic style or want to show people some new skills, this is the place.
Morpheus306

Re: Personal Trainer

Post by Morpheus306 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:18 am

Officer 1BDI wrote: I have trouble with proportions when it comes to drawing young children and infants: limbs usually turn out too long, and heads often too large or small.  Do you have any tips on how to draw, say, Maggie or any of Apu's toddlers?
well the thing to keep in mind is how many 'heads' tall they are.  Maggie for instance is two heads tall.  Which means that shape and size of her head, then the exact same shape right below it.  With Simpson style, the younger the person, the bigger the head is.  That's also not to say that it's monsterously bigger, but in that world round and plump is cute.  I'll post some kid picks to show you, hopefully by tommorow.
Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Officer 1BDI » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:24 am

Thank you.  I'd really appreciate some visual references. :)
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"
simpsonsnut78
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by simpsonsnut78 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:59 pm

i have trouble drawing arms and legs everytime i drwaw any simpsons character... any suggestions???
ruffles: hey guess what, i can draw marge!!!
chum: oh yeah? well i can draw homer
ruffles: i can drw fry!!! now what?
chum: shut up...
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:46 am

Read the book called "Cartooning With The Simpsons". It has many useful examples. You can download it here.
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:45 am

Daggy that was the best thing that i have seen for me to help me. thanks for the link *saved*.
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
simpsonsnut78
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by simpsonsnut78 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:22 am

thanks for the link. i downloaded it but what program do i use to open it???
ruffles: hey guess what, i can draw marge!!!
chum: oh yeah? well i can draw homer
ruffles: i can drw fry!!! now what?
chum: shut up...
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:58 am

Adobe Acrobat Reader. Usually it comes together with any PC game CD.
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:51 pm

Since this threads been shoved up front, I got a question for any artists out there:

Are there any other styles that people can write tutorials for?

Meaning, possibly different than using circles etc. I've drawn freehand for a long time and, if I want to get anymore consistent at drawing, I'm going to need a new way of drawing. However I'm hopless at drawing circles. I could practice but, well... you see I'm lazy. Plus, my rubber is very unforgiving to pencil lines.

Any thoughts?
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:10 am

Casper
As far as I know, construction method is a method, not a style.
You can use it do draw anything, not only Groening-style pictures.

So my suggestions are:
1) Buy a ruler with circles of different size;
2) Buy another rubber. :D
Casper
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:39 am

Replace 'style' with 'method' and repeat question.

And hehe! A ruler... wow, havent seen one of those in a long time ;D Anyways, I'll try and get my hands on them :)
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Morpheus306

Post by Morpheus306 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:32 pm

Casper wrote: Since this threads been shoved up front, I got a question for any artists out there:

Are there any other styles that people can write tutorials for?

Meaning, possibly different than using circles etc. I've drawn freehand for a long time and, if I want to get anymore consistent at drawing, I'm going to need a new way of drawing. However I'm hopless at drawing circles. I could practice but, well... you see I'm lazy. Plus, my rubber is very unforgiving to pencil lines.

Any thoughts?
The best way to do this is find another artist you like and break down his characters.  Such as I really like the work of Steven Silver, so I found some of his work and tried to break it down to the simplest of shapes.  You can see his stuff here...www.silvertoons.com
In this industry is always a good thing if you can draw in many styles.  So go on the net and find art that inspires you and try to understand how it works. Here is a pic I did useing the Kingdom Hearts style.  Again, I found reference to see how the artist constructed then how you used details.  Just go with whatever you find and don't get discouraged if you can't do it right away.
Tyrannus
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Tyrannus » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:52 pm

I need quite a bit of help with drawing Sherri/Terri. (My main problem is with the heads, thier heads are so different from the other girls) so I was wordering if you would be so kind as to show some sort of guide for the twins please?
I understand that your a busy man so I don't expect you to do it immediately but it would be extremely helpful if you could fulfil my request sometime in the future.
Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by Tyrannus on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazed Sherri & Terri fan.

You can't have your characters announce how they feel, that makes me feel angry-Beelzebot.
Grasper
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Grasper » Sun May 15, 2011 5:42 am

How do you deal with drawing bodys, like getting poses and stances right?

i find this the hardest thing to do, i can draw a head no problem (unless im doing a caricature) but i always find im stumped at the body
Aim so Low no one will care if you fail..
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Gulliver63 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:09 pm

Can I throw in a link? I've done Sherri and Terri once for a project at dA http://gulliver63.deviantart.com/galler ... 8#/d38es5w . . For my references, I use a combination of tv screengrabs, the comics, or the big cheat book...the latter, if you don't have it, shows all the characters and how to draw them.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
Morpheus306
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Morpheus306 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:51 am

Grasper wrote:How do you deal with drawing bodys, like getting poses and stances right?
i find this the hardest thing to do, i can draw a head no problem (unless im doing a caricature) but i always find im stumped at the body
Ah yes, probably the most important part of any character drawing; the pose. One thing I always tell people is to not worry about the end result, focus on the pose and the story you're trying to tell. Every pose has a story, weather simple or complex. The way a person stands can tell you a lot about that character, but this has more to do with character design than just drawing bodies. I added a pic so you can see my process.
1. When drawing a body I always start with a line of action, it's a guide that will help you flush out that perfect pose. Of course you also want to think about what emotion you want your character to have, and the line of action will express that. Oh and I almost never go with my first sketch, I always make several sketches until I find the right one.
2. From there I start roughly sketching out the torso, arms, legs, etc. Nothing detailed just yet, I want to get the right feeling for the pose before I start adding details. *notice how I pushed the 2nd pose to get more emotion.
3. When I'm happy with the way the body feels I'll add hands, feet etc. For me the hands and feet are an extension of the arms and legs, all flowing together. Remember bodies need to have fluidity. I also start to fix model problems like proportions and what not.
4. Still sketchy I start adding face details because I might want to change the body a little if I see the face. I also start to "commit" to my lines, meaning making them more refine rather than just quick strokes. This makes the drawing for solid, but notice how I'm still sketchy. Oh and always draw through your forms, example: Homer's sleeves and body, I draw the whole circle not just where I think it should go. *The lines on the floor is a little trick I use to help my characters feel grounded, or like they're actually standing on something. It's just a quick 2 point perspective and with it I can make any changes to make him feel like he's standing.*

Normally this would be the last part of my job because we don't clean up the drawings, but from here you can take some tracing paper and clean up the drawing. You can see in my clean up that I had to adjust his model because his body was looking a little to big. That's basically it in a nut shell. This is how I make any drawing, weather simpsons or not. Everyone works differently so just keep practicing and you'll find something that works for you.
Attachments
HomerPro.jpg