The Writer's Medication Database Thread

We aren't limited to fanfic. Any writing that doesn't fit elsewhere can go here. Feel free to post poetry, stories, articles, ideas and any other fiction or non-fiction you wish.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

The Writer's Medication Database Thread

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:14 am

Have you got any advice for how to get over writer's block? Post it here!

I'll start things off:

1. Set yourself a certain time (not too long) to write, every day. Even if it's just a quarter of an hour, you'll feel that you've achieved something, and chances are you'll be well enough into writing not to want to stop when the time is up.

2. Is there anything else you need to do (in my case usually boring work) that distracts you from writing? Do it first. It'll be a load off your mind when you get back to writing.

3. Keep a list of what inspires you to the story. In my case, it could be anything from a song to a certain place. Then, when your inspiration flags, look at the list. Listen to the songs, read the books, watch the films, go to the places. And if you can't, think about them for a while.

Well, those are the things that work for me. Feel free to add your own suggestions.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Re: The Writer's Medication Database Thread

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:49 pm

I have one suggestion -- it certainly helps me -- but it's not awfully wise.

Take on a project. Make sure it's something urgent, preferably with a deadline, and something that you would really rather not do. The more you force yourself to concentrate on the project, the more your brain will say, "But I have new ideas! Write! I'll be good now, I swear!"

Failing that, I'd especially recommend #3 up there. Sound/book/thingtracks are good. There is another suggestion that involves murderous rage, but it only applies to a specific sort of fanfic so I'll shut up.  ;D   
Last edited by AssistantCrone on Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:30 pm

Hmmm...I'll have to print off this page.  Much useful information!
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:31 pm

I've always found that going somewhere different usually helps get around my writers block. Most of the time it's caused by being in front of the same computer all the time, or sitting in the same room. When I go on holiday I'm always full of ideas. Hell, if I gown the road I'm full of ideas. The point is, you need to get out of your familiar environment now and then.

When I'm writing out ideas I use a pen and paper. I can't write full prose (or whatever) with one becuase it takes too long, but a pen is much handier for scribbling down ideas than a laptop, or even a PDA (for those lucky sods that own one). I've also heard good things about using dictaphones or tape recorders.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:18 pm

Commisar Geranovich wrote: When I'm writing out ideas I use a pen and paper. I can't write full prose (or whatever) with one becuase it takes too long, but a pen is much handier for scribbling down ideas than a laptop, or even a PDA (for those lucky sods that own one). I've also heard good things about using dictaphones or tape recorders.
Most true. Keeping a notepad (ideally pocket-sized) and pen with you when in your daily life is a great idea. Then you can catch the ideas when they come.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Terry Y » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:38 am

I've actually been feeling quite creative lately.  My biggest problem is this: many times, I'll have a good initial idea, but after I work out a scenario or joke or two, I hit a snag and eventually lose interest.  I'd give anything to be able to get over that hump.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:37 am

If you're not hitting snags, you're not writing. It's that simple. I've been writing for many years, and I'm still getting them.

It's no fun, but you just have to work your way through it. It may be a sign that the scene is getting bogged down and you need to switch to the next one. Perhaps you should write on another part of the story (you don't have to do it in order, after all) just to get some perspective. If it's a big, plot-affecting problem, put it to the side until you come up with a solution.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:34 pm

Hey I have returned, I'll be dipped. *looks around at the walls* 
Anyway, that is all i ever do. I never write from front to back. I work from front to back to middle to the left, right and back towards the beginning.
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Terry Y » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:58 pm

Welcome back, man!

See, I've got a pretty linear mind, so I've never tried that.  I don't see how anything gets done that way.  But obviously you're doing more than me, so maybe I should give it a try.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:30 pm

I'm of two different minds when it comes to writer's block.

If it's fic, I go back to the particular episode or scene that inspired the work.  If I watch it for long enough I usually pick up some nuance I missed, which assists me in finishing.

If it's an original, I take a good break from the piece.  Usually, it takes absorbing something new - a good movie, a novel, a walk in the country - to get me going again.

Interesting thoughts, all!
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
Casper
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:09 pm

These ideas will also greatly help artists with blocks, if you just change the words around a little.

I think I shall recomend people to read this if they're having a hard time at all :) Its certainly giving me ideas.

Its even giving me an urge to write again.... (beware...)
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
zekeprower
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by zekeprower » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:15 pm

Thanks for that little welcome back, Lord Kingsly. Anyway to stay on topic, what I usually do is try and do a bit of writing every day, but most of the time, what I write is never the next part of the story. I have gotten the Beginning and end done on my story, but I am still working on the middle area, the "Filler space" as I call it.

When I just cant write due to bordem, or a simple lack of energy even, I tend to just listen to the music that has given me the inspiration for that section of story. I will listen to songs from Dream theater about 10 or 12 times, just listening to it and replaying the movie in my mind, the movie that will be writen, which is my story.

Our minds are amazingly powerful and they can show us the strangest images. I use those images to do my writing. It's better than TV for me. Maybe that helps, but that is just what I do
He stood tall on top of the mountain of his ancestors and looked down to see his home. He let loose a loud howl. He is now a man, but not just a man. He is now a true Wolf and others are sure to follow him.
fanworker5
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by fanworker5 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:49 am

What I always do is take a bike ride; that always helps me think. Also, those are all great ideas for curing writer's block! Like several people have already said, this information will come in handy.
"My only wish is to be remembered." -Anonomous