Time goes by so fast.

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Time goes by so fast.

Post by archonix » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:26 pm

Today is the 13th birthday of Doom, the first-person shooter that revolutionised PC gameplay forever. Thirteen years have taken us from Doom's graphics - spectacular for the time - to the latest, greatest shooters, games and graphical feasts that plague us by having minimum specs ever so slightly higher than the new computerbeast we purchased the other month.

Thirteen years.

There are people on this forum who weren't alive when that game was launched, and it's only a mere thirteen years. I was, in fact, 13 when the game was released. Back then I thought it was the dogs bollocks, that games couldn't look any more cool. I couldn't have imagined how things would turn out, with graphics cards that have more ram on board than even the most expensive computers back then. Thirteen years. Today we look at our computers and think "It can't really get any better than that, can it? The new Unreal engine looks like real life!"

People said the same thing back then.

Makes you think, doesn't it?
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Re: Time goes by so fast.

Post by Terry Y » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:37 pm

Eh, first-person-shooters are all the same to me.  Move this joystick to manipulate the left pinky and press X, B and Z to look at your target and all that crap. 
* Lord Kingsley is severely beaten.
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:53 pm

Funny. For me, it does feel like a 13 years ago. Basically because 13 years is nothing. And you know what? Doom looked like the coolest thing ever back then. And it still does. If it didn't, they would make a movie out of Duke Nukem instead of Doom. :) Oh, no, I haven't watched the movie and I don't think I ever will.

I don't even think it's a nostalgia thing: games like that just never lose their cool. Most of today's 3D shooters have been merely building on standards that Doom has set. When it comes to innovation, lack of hardware resources is actually an asset. I mean, back then, programmers and designers had to pull off miracles to outdo the hardware limitations (and give us stuff like Doom, LBA, Alone In The Dark, Stunts... Enduro, :) ). Today, hardware limitations are virtually nil, so they can just fiddle around with what has already been done.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:20 pm

Ah!  Now I'm getting all nostalgic!  I spent (wasted? ;D) a lot of time playing Doom.  It's slightly frightening but also inspiring how far things have moved since then.
Anyone remember Wolfenstein 3D?
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:24 pm

Ah, Doom. No bells, no whistles, shoot everything. Sometimes ancient is good.  :)
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
fanworker5
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by fanworker5 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:19 am

My dad used to sneak home from work to play this game; he was that addicted. ;D
"My only wish is to be remembered." -Anonomous
Casper
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:59 pm

I never used to play FPS... I first played Doom about a year or so after it was launched...

However, I can relate. My pinical moment of gaming which told me 'This is the future!' was playing Alien Trilogy for PS1. The 'realistic' graphics and the 'intelligent' A.I system and the 'huge' maps where all I needed :D
But that game does pay all of its dues to Doom. They look very similar gaming engines, just on different consoles.

Also... considering an average memory stick has x100 the power of the old Spectrum I used to play is, quite somthing ;D
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch
Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Hellfish » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:38 am

Doom's prolly the biggest reason I still keep DOSbox installed... *Fires up Final Doom*
Damnitall, I'm supposed to be working! >_<
And what's the deal with traffic theory?
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:34 pm

If I have prevented one person from completing work that needs to be completed, then my work here is done.

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
* Commisar Geranovich floats up in to the sky to the sound of Jethro Tull's "Ring Out Solstice Bells". Just because.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks