Soul Calibur 3 Lisa

Get help and advice on your art and post works in progress.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Soul Calibur 3 Lisa

Post by gkscotty » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:59 pm

I made a character in Soul Calibur 3 that was "inspired" by Lisa, and decided to try to draw her.

There are loads of flaws, it's anime style and the background is a bit half-assed, but I hope you like it. :) As always, all comments and critcism are completely welcome.

http://www.simpworks.com/steven/ladysimpsonsmall.jpg

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
fanworker5
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Re: Soul Calibur 3 Lisa

Post by fanworker5 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:39 pm

In my opinion, it's always as important to work on the background as much as the main pic, but this looks  very nice, too. The face seems a little tall, even for anime, but the details on her are very well done!
"My only wish is to be remembered." -Anonomous
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:30 am

I like it!  The detail on the armour is amazing, but you still need to work on the feet. :)

So yeah, a definite thumbs-up from me.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:24 pm

Not knowing the game I can't say anything about on-modelness, but I love the detail on the armour, particularly that chainmail effect, and of course the wing-on-a-stick. ;D Her body's good too, particularly around the waist, and she does look a lot like Lisa. As for criticisms: I'd suggest a few more shadows overall, and maybe cut a slice off the bottom of the feet depending on the original model. As for the background: yeah, it's a bit half-assed but still interesting, and you actually drew the grass by hand. There should be an award for that. Seriously.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:41 pm

There's not much to add to what I said last night, so I'll just reiterate that. :) I love the shading on the armour.

ACtually I agree with something Chris said the other day, that you're starting to develop a distinct style. I do think you need to be more confident with your lines, though. You tend to "stroke" them a lot and it can end up looking very scribly if you're not careful.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:23 pm

Thanks guys, comments are much appreciated.

For reference, the original picture of the character Image

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:27 pm

Regarding the background (since it was mentioned); while they're important, it's also important to choose the appropriate amount of detail to include. You don't want to overwhelm the picture by putting too much detail in to a background. Give the subject matter and the picture focus I think the background is perfectly appropriate.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:57 pm

Most important points have already been touched on, and you know I like this picture. Like I said, you're getting your own style, not just "I learnt how to draw manga from the 'how to draw manga' tutorial". I particularly like her hair: not too realistic, but the edges have a texture to them. Colouring is excellent.

The detail on the armour is pretty darn excellent, and you've done a great job shading the metallic bits. Same with the sapphire/wing/broom/rake weapon. I agree with Beb's advice about making the shoes (metal shoes, I don't envy her!) smaller.

Personally, I like the background. It is simple, but then it shouldn't take the viewer's attention from the character, and there's a nice amount of colour and life. My main complaint about it is the firs on the far hill looking a bit too detailed for the distance implied: you probably wouldn't be able to make out individual branches. (I'm no artist, and I don't really know how to improve it, despite having grown up in a fir-covered country. *shame*) I like the river.

Hope you'll draw more soon!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.