Pat draws?

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Pat draws?

Post by D.B. » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:01 pm

I never seem to think of my best ideas. Or rather, I start drawing something and end up with something completely different that I hadn't even considered previously.

There's been lots of winged lisa pics. And I realised a while back, no winged maggies. Clearly this inequality could not be allowed to go on any longer, so I set to drawing a simple winged maggie sticking her tongue out at lisa as she flew past. Nothing much, just  a simple sketch. Except I didn't end up drawing what I meant to draw. There was just too much cannon (and even more fannon) that maggie is typically more heavily armed than her sister. Which in this setting implied an anime-style oversized flaming sword. And once I had that it didn't look right unless I made her a bit older, added some sterotypical fantasy/computergame details, and before I knew it I was drawing six wings instead of two...

Anyway: the hair is a complete copy of one of gustavo/CCD's recent pics over on LTS (I needed to make it stand out from the wings), the armour is somewhat absed on a Spawn character I half remember, the perspective is all wrong and the wings are a mess (I wish I'd redone them now). BUt probably still worth posting.
Attachments
seraphmaggie.JPG
Last edited by D.B. on Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Pat draws?

Post by archonix » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:57 pm

Oh man, that armour is... stunning. I like the touch of the flaming sword as well. I assume the only reason you aven't drawn the garden of eden behind her is because the wings take up all the room?

In fact, now that I look clsoer, that armour is more than a little WH40k styled. By chance is there any influence going on there?
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:50 pm

*succumbs to fangirlish impulse for a moment* MAR-GA-RET! MAR-GA-RET!

Ahem... I agree with Graham on the armour, and love the folds in her shirt. Decorative wings. Her face looks very good as well, very Maggie. And... that's one big flaming sword! The perspective does seem wrong, but you'll have to ask one of your fellow artists how to do it. Either way, I like the sword.

What's not to like? I'm none too fond of the new hair colour, but like you said, it's necessary. The big hair makes her head look big, but then that's hard to avoid. Oh, her left (our right) foot probably needs some work.

I'm pleased to see art by you again. And yes, we needed this.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:57 pm

* Beb ducks
Spiffy stuff. The armour looks quite, er, pangolin-ish. (This is good). I also like the trademark bow, the halo that doesn't have any room to float above her hair, and the sweet podgy look that your pics always have. Nitpickery: perhaps the body could do with more dramatic perspective to go with the sword. But who cares? She has arsewings. It's cool.  :D
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:57 pm

"arsewings" has officially entered my lexicon :D

Anyway, glad you lot liked it. WRT the warhammer comment, I know exactly the bits you mean, but it wasn't intentional. I was aiming for as many feathery references as possible, then decided to stick some gemstones in because i like them, and then all of a sudden realised what I'd done. It was probably subliminal :)

As for the hair, if i ever get round to colouring this I've decided I'm going to give her magpie plumage, as its characterful and solves the problem :)

For my next trick I'm planning bart as a grumpy cherub. However the way things are goign currently it'll probably turn into moe or something halfway through...
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:00 pm

For my next trick I'm planning bart as a grumpy cherub. However the way things are going currently it'll probably turn into moe or something halfway through...
Ha! Turns out that was a conservative estimate. Anyway, in my best barney gumble accent...Fanart is in danger of becomming stale - I'm taking it to strange new places. Number 8, *burp*, number 8, *burp*...

incidentally, it is criminally easy to draw burn in a Geiger setting. I don't know why I've never tried it before.
Attachments
coolingtower7.jpg
- Sydney Brenner
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:13 pm

I don't know what that is but it's brilliant.  8)

On second thought, it looks like something you'd find growing in the woods near the power plant. In any case, I'm never going into the garden at night again.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:01 pm

We need more Giger-esque fanart.

My bet is that he's some sort of praying mantis. Whoa, evil.

I can't really say much about this, except that I like it a lot. On-modelness doesn't really apply. Burns looks great, but the background, moody as it is, could be even cooler in a slightly touched-up version.

I'll stay away from the power plant from now on.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:16 pm

That's just... woah.

Superb work Pat, even though I daren't guess what he is.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:48 pm

That's excellent! Hm... this probaby ranks alongside Beb's last picture in the originality stakes.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
skajme
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by skajme » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:59 pm

love the 1st picture, the perspective of the sword gives it a nice feeling of dimension
i hope that makes sense :S
the second picture..is slightly scarey haha, but really well drawn! top stuff
Space. It seems to go on and on forever.
But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you.

www.skajme.deviantart.com
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Wed May 30, 2007 8:37 pm

The most horrifying piece of western fanart ever? Sadly, not quite - I couldn't bring myself to do a parody of the original  :-\ . On the bright side, Homer's proportions make for a good planet.

Some of the shading is messed up, and I only hinted at bart (he was far too small toa ctually do anything with) but all in all I think it's an amusing little sketch, and one I may do a better version of in time.

And thanks for the kind comments all :) .
Attachments
saturn.JPG
- Sydney Brenner
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Wed May 30, 2007 8:45 pm

* Lord Kingsley is still trying to wrap his mind around this...
But it is very nice!  A cool idea that is very well executed!
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Wed May 30, 2007 9:18 pm

Excellent use of Homer, and a pretty disturbing pic. I hate to think what his gravity must be like.  ;D

I looked for the number of Saturn's moons and so far it seems to be 33, but that's only two minutes of Google talking. There's at least one astronomer here so hopefully we'll know soon.

*Edited to change 'astromoner' to 'astronomer'.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 30, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Wed May 30, 2007 9:23 pm

Heh!  Took me a while to get the reference...I guess a direct parody would have been a little extreme!
Great sketch though, the shading looks OK to me.  I think it definitely warrants a cleaned up version.
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas