Simpsons Game Planned By EA Games

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Simpsons Game Planned By EA Games

Post by Meteorite » Fri May 11, 2007 3:09 am

Props to Steve, for linking the countdown timer to this in chat last week.

Da Link

I really like the new look, but I am concerned about the part where Homer looks like he's rolling around like a Katamari ball.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Simpsons Game Planned By EA Games

Post by gkscotty » Fri May 11, 2007 10:54 am

Gah, I meant to point this out a few days ago when I saw it on Kotaku.

Basically the gist is the family are trapped in a game and know it's a game. Hence they are able to use that to aquire the sort of powers game characters have and try to get out. Each level is basically a parody of a specific game or game genre. I don't think Homer's similarity to a Katamari in that level is accidental.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Fri May 11, 2007 11:40 am

That's actually a pretty interesting game premise.  Color me curious..

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Fri May 11, 2007 1:46 pm

gkscotty wrote: Gah, I meant to point this out a few days ago when I saw it on Kotaku.

Basically the gist is the family are trapped in a game and know it's a game. Hence they are able to use that to aquire the sort of powers game characters have and try to get out. Each level is basically a parody of a specific game or game genre. I don't think Homer's similarity to a Katamari in that level is accidental.
Okay, I've just gone from concerned to anxious to play.

I see that the demo is on the XBox 360.  Any info on if it'll be on other systems, or is that too early a call to make?

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Fri May 11, 2007 2:24 pm

I heard it's also for PS2.

I've only really skimmed the description, and it sounds mildly interesting, but not really more than that. I like Marge's ability, very Jedi-like.

"NeverQuest"? Someone should sue.  :)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Morpheus306

Post by Morpheus306 » Tue May 15, 2007 5:14 pm

It's planned for all systems and they even got the studio to do all the storyboarding for the cut scenes.  EA really wanted it to feel like the show so they commisioned artsits(including me) to storyboard it simpsons style.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue May 15, 2007 6:45 pm

Ahh, the inside scoop! :) I'll look forward to this one.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Tyrannus
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Tyrannus » Wed May 16, 2007 8:45 pm

Oddly enough, there are people on other forums that actually critisize the graphics, despite how close to the show's style it is. They even said it like the  graphics from the Family guy game which was horrendous (but then again, Family guy itself is horrendous, go figure). Of course, I'm not one of that lot. I love the "2D, yet 3D" feel to the game.

I'm quite pleased it isn't a adaption of the movie. But I hope there will be more characters this time, in "Hit and run" I'm pretty sure some characters as important as Edna and Fat Tony (he was mentioned once but that doesn't really count) were missed out and quite frankly, it was a dissapointing part of an otherwise good game.

A Mario bros parody is near inevitable...
Crazed Sherri & Terri fan.

You can't have your characters announce how they feel, that makes me feel angry-Beelzebot.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Wed May 16, 2007 9:02 pm

I very much like the graphics, they're on model from the show. I didn't like the 3D-ness of "Hit & Run", and don't get me started on the Futurama game. This may be 3D, but it doesn't look like it, which is the important thing to me.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Officer 1BDI » Thu May 17, 2007 4:05 am

"All systems" means PC as well, correct?

Otherwise, I will be an unhappy Simpson fan.
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu May 17, 2007 10:37 am

Nope, no PC version right now.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Officer 1BDI » Thu May 17, 2007 5:53 pm

D'ohhhh....

Maybe I'll be arsed enough to by a Wii someday and see what I've been missing all these years, living in a console-less home.

I've never been a fan of the cel-shaded 3D modeled games (the Futurama graphics always looked horribly fugly to me); it alwasy comes across as horribly awkward and blocky to me.  The screenshots don't make the graphics in this game look horrible, but I have to reserve judgement until I see the game in motion.
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"
djwhitaker2004
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Sat May 19, 2007 7:30 pm

Xbox is about to make a limited edition of the Simpsons console. I just hope Wii will do the same, I just do have one yet.
Attachments
shot837.gif
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.