UK Car Bombs

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

UK Car Bombs

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:06 am

You guys okay over there?

Man it's been six years since all this major terrorism crap started.  I'm getting tired of things calming down and terrorists popping up again going "surprise!"...

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: UK Car Bombs

Post by archonix » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:33 am

Yeah, they're real buggers for that. Fortunately they're very inept at the moment.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
BChris66
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by BChris66 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:41 pm

Those guys in Glasgow airport were a real joke, I doubt that was even a genuine taliban attempt, looks more like a couple of likely lads who fancied themselves as martyrs.  :doh:

They are pretty incompetent at the minute, but as the IRA always said, they only have to get lucky once. And they're getting plenty of training in Iraq & Afghan.

Sort of strange to hear people say 'England? Jeez I wouldn't go there, it's full of terrorists'  ;D
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:11 pm

The larger part of terrorism isn't in killing people but making people afraid. Inept or not, the fact that apparently ordinary people will one day just decided to start throwing petrol bombs in an airport is very scary. At least with the IRA there was a high possibility they'd phone up before they bomb went off.

Now they're arresting people in liverpool as well, and they're still hunting the blokes who planted those bombs in london. I don't think this one is over yet. The only good thing to come out of this is that it's not obvious the police have made it virtually impossible for these people to gather up the right equipment for making bombs.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by aoifestorm » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:44 pm

I'm really happy that the London plot failed.  Sadly, that town really knows how to handle terrorist attacks.
  The Glasgow attack...eek.  I am glad that more people weren't hurt, and that it wasn't bigger.  I am sure English intelligence is working all kinds of overtime, and I hope they can stop whatever plots they can.

A weird, related note:  NYC now always gets put on high alert if anything happens in London.  I had a medical exam Friday, where I had to eat some radioactive dye.  Afterwards, one of the techs handed me a piece of paper, stating what I had done, how much of this dye I ingested, and how long it would be in my system.  She told me to carry around the paper for the next 3 days, in case anyone stopped me and thought I was doing something illegal. :/
I have had many exams involving the dye since September 2001, and I've never been given any documentation about it.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:58 pm

Heard a lot about the Glasgow case on the way up to my brother's new house. TBH, I kinda feel proud that when the terrorists were fighting the police, Scots airport empoyees and travellers stepped up to help subdue them. :)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
BChris66
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by BChris66 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:15 pm

I can just imagine some taliban facing a 'See you Jimmy' Scottish type  :D

I wonder what 'Can yer mammy sew? Well, stitch this!' is in arabic?
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:22 pm

Yeah, good on them!  What I've found reassuring, is the way that people have just carried on, refusing to be intimidated.  I was down in London at a wedding yesterday and although the traffic was bad due to road closures, it was as busy as ever.  I only found out about the Glasgow attack from a taxi driver when I was heading to the station in the evening.  I must admit, I did feel a little uneasy waiting for the train but we can't let this sort of thing rule our lives.
It's lucky that it was such an amateur job, though apparently similar tactics have been used more effectively in Iraq.  The Glasgow attack seems almost bizarre if it wasn't for the thought of what might have happened if that jeep had got further in, or gone off properly.  Still, sod them, it's not the first time we've been attacked over here and it won't be the last, but life goes on.

[edited due to stupidity 02/07/07 18:24]
Last edited by fellranger on Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
aoifestorm

Post by aoifestorm » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:54 pm

BChris66 wrote: I wonder what 'Can yer mammy sew? Well, stitch this!' is in arabic?
Please translate that into Arabic, then translate it back into English.

I don't know how it is in England/Scotland, but in the news here, they are flipping that this is all part of some giant terrorist plot goin down.
Have they mentioned this there at all?  This is one big problem with most US news, you never know if they are trying to scare you for ratings/etc. , or giving you actual news.

Also English people...why do you think Glasgow was attacked?  London is the new financial capital of the world, and it's London, so I get that.  Why Glasgow?
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
fellranger

Post by fellranger » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:21 pm

Please translate that into Arabic, then translate it back into English.
"I say!  Take that you scoundrel!"
(while head-butting said terrorist into oblivion...)
I haven't seen any news reports of mass terrorist plots (but then I don't have Sky News...).  Obviously they're linking it all to Al-Qaeda, though it seems that every militant lunatic group is describing itself as "affiliated with Al-Qaeda" so who knows...
They probably went for Glasgow because it's both a major city airport and an easy target.  The motorway runs right past it and you can drive right along the front of the main terminal, which obviously suited what they were trying to do.
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

BChris66
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by BChris66 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:32 pm

Sort of surprised that the perps were doctors.

5 News had a criminal psycologist(Sp?) on saying that the profile for Islamic terrorists in the Uk has always been low paid, disillusioned young people, not middle aged, upper middle class professionals. But as he pointed out Bin Laden himself is from a privilaged background  ???

I'm sure the Int cells are all over these scumbags though, and those guys are the best in the business, so no worries.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:41 pm

The talking head is talking rubbish. All the bombers in this country have been middle class, well off and aged between 20 and 30. Youth and poverty are not factors, but the 'middle class terrrorist' doesn't fiot the media's narrative about poverty causing terrorism so it gets ignored.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
fellranger

Post by fellranger » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:47 pm

According to the BBC news, these blokes are from overseas rather than being "home grown" terrorists - Jordan and Iraq have been mentioned.

Casper
Location: England. Oldham, just to the North West of Manchester.

Post by Casper » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:49 pm

Being rich or poor wouldnt matter though, 'Martyr' means the same thing. Which is, pretty frightning. I guess more educated people would learn more about their religion, so in a way it makes sence.
Simpsons : Realities
Dedicated to SR
"In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - Agalloch