Creativity Hour works thread

Talk about whatever you like here!
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Creativity Hour works thread

Post by gkscotty » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:51 pm

"Dig up, stupid!"

Nah it's good work Spacehorse. Increasingly meta.

As for me, what if there was time travel and magical girls going on?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:32 pm

@Alex: it's good meta! One grammar nitpick, though: "when one has to deny something is not sinister."

Rarity is very much in character, your avatar is nice (neither Mary-Suish nor unsympathetic), and the punchline made me laugh.

@Steve: you know I like this a ton. Both Marge and Lisa are well drawn, the whole scene looks good, and, well, we definitely need a Margical Girl Marge fanfic now.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:34 pm

At long last, my story from last Sunday: "Chooser of the Fallen". It was all written within the timeframe, but I later added and polished quite extensively during the process of translation.

Content note: very dark (no gore or other ickiness, though).

Also note that there's a character named Karsten in this. He's not in any way based on the (former?) Simpworks member, it just felt like a suitable name for the character.

Regarding the plot: I normally try to let my stories stand on their own, but because this one's so short and I'm not really planning to write anything more about these characters, some points about what is going on:
Spoiler
Attachments
chooser of the fallen.doc
(23 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
chooser of the fallen.odt
(41.76 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 pm

It's good. Sad, but good.

The spoiler doesn't really come across though.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:42 pm

Thank you for reading!

Yeah, the spoiler was more of behind-the-scenes musings than anything I actually put in the story.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:31 pm

That was very haunting, and I almost felt like crying when I was finished. The details you sprinkle through the text add a lot of atmoshpere and a moody feeling to it.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:17 pm

Here's my writing bit for today. It's another bit for Sonata of the Broken Hearts: Clara has just played a gig with Gabriel's band, and one of Clara's own bandmates was watching her. For further context: Clara plays in a jazz fusion-esque band, while Gabriel's band does free improvisation. That's why her bandmate is quite shocked by what he heard. And yeah, I'm playing up the idea that Clara and Gabriel exchange insults as a display of affection. I don't know if this will stick in the final story, but so far it works for me.
Attachments
Sonata fragment 2.pdf
(60.59 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Sonata fragment 2.odt
(24.87 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Last edited by SirMustapha on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:31 pm

"Draw something about the Superbowl", Pat said. I did my best.

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:34 pm

Love your pic, Steve. Will read Fernie's story when I have time.

Really not finished, but I did my best.

A hypertext story called A Fractal Fairy Tale. Not really a game or anything, but the story wouldn't work as plain text. Unfinished, so some branches will end suddenly. I might come back and finish it at some point.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:48 pm

Read Fernie's story now. Really good stuff, and the dialogue-to-description ratio is good in this part. Interesting discussion about improvisation, even if it probably went over my head as a non-musician (though come to think of it, isn't that a bit like what we're doing in these creativity hours??), and Clara's emotions afterwards feel very realistic. I also like how she has problems talking about it with Gabriel (without it turning into a huge fight either) and they don't immediately fix everything with a conversation, which again feels realistic. Gabriel's feelings about his ex are interesting as well.

Typo: at the start of page 2, you start a sentence with "he" when it should be "she". Also "don't you rather go home with me" would be something like "don't you rather want to" etc.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:48 pm

Much apology for not being around last week. Was afflicted with the Sleep status.

Anyhoo, here's me trying to hold a conversation with a fictional horse.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:09 am

No problem Alex, I got here late this week.

Good work. The metaness is strong. Please be careful. Ever going to tell her about us readers?

As for me, here's a flower.

Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:20 am

Guess what's finally finished, you guys? I've had this joke in my head for a few months now. Feels pretty good to actually draw it.
Attachments
clobbergirl.png
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:59 am

Most excellent, Stretch :lisa:

Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:59 pm

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BZi ... sp=sharing There's mine, writing this time! I'd say more but feeling kinda tired.
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash