Chris can't draw part II: ENDGAME

Post your art here! While this is a Simpsons and Futurama website, feel free to post works for other fandoms or original works here as well.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Chris can't draw part II: ENDGAME

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:49 pm

So I decided to draw another of my Warhammer 40k space marines. Commander Ríastrad of the Destroying Angels invokes the ancient saint Leeroy of Jenkins as she dives through a wall of flame while firing dual-wielded bolters. (Strictly speaking, this is probably from the propaganda film re-enactment. Because nobody would be as stupid as not to wear a helmet when diving through fire, especially when they have such long uncouth hippie hair.)

So, strictly speaking, canonically women can't become space marines, because the accepted technology for bodily enhancement only works on men and the Imperium of Man is kind of scientifically conservative. There is a roughly equivalent army of female élite warriors, but they wear thinner armour and have no cybernetic enhancement other than their balls of steel, and SCREW THAT. I'll just say that some planet rediscovered the technology for upgrading women, and the reason female Astartes aren't widely known yet is because most people who see the Destroying Angels tend not to survive.

Feel free to hit me with the con-crit, I know I have a long way to go. In my defence, it was a complicated pose. (And trying to figure out how those pauldrons work is evil.)

Into terror, into valour
Charge ahead, no, never turn
Yes, it's into the fire we fly, and the Devil will burn!

re the bow: Graham keeps trolling me about how all my spess mehreens should wear bows since they're girls, so I gave Ríastrad one as a bit of an in-joke with him. It makes her seem cuter and more approachable, don't you think?
into the fire.jpg
Last edited by c_nordlander on Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Re: Chris can't draw part II: ENDGAME

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:49 pm

I'm not obsessed. I'm simply... ahead of the curve.

Some sprites of 2019!Joker performing his Iconic Joker Dance(tm). Not nearly all the moves, sadly.
Attachments
joker dancing sprite.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:19 pm

Haha, those are brilliant! I'm impressed with how well you translated his look into this pixelated style, and how good his face looks. I particularly love the bottom row.

You should make an animated GIF out of that!
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:06 pm

DAMN that's high praise! Thank you very much. Yes, it would have been criminal not to include the bottom row.
You should make an animated GIF out of that!
I think I have to. :)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:28 am

Hi Chris, This is interesting. I printed the Warhammer drawing and started to rework it. The result is very different. Want to see, as well as the process I'm going through to finish it?
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:37 am

I'm amazed at how the dithering(?) worked out! And plenty of poses too, feels pretty genesis-y!
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:27 am

kaspired wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:28 am Hi Chris, This is interesting. I printed the Warhammer drawing and started to rework it. The result is very different. Want to see, as well as the process I'm going through to finish it?
Oh, that would be very cool! You should probably post it in your own art thread so no-one accidentally gives me credit for it. Post the process only if it's not too much trouble.
Nidotamer wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:37 am I'm amazed at how the dithering(?) worked out!
Yeah, that's dithering (I think! I'm still new to this, after all). Thank you very much, I'm flattered!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:31 pm

Hi Chris, Yeah I can do that. Give me a day or two to get my act together...
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:26 pm

Two more.

First off, the Four Bikers of the Apocalypse from Good Omens in Groening-style. Left to right, top to bottom: War, Famine, Pollution (who took over when Pestilence retired), and Death. You may have seen it before, since I posted it way back on dA. I may colour this at some point; I'm pretty happy with it.

More Joker trash. What do you get when you cross a failed comedian suffering from insufficiently-treated mental problems with a nihilist force of nature who just wants to watch the world burn? You get the crossover we need, but not the one we deserve.

Con-crit welcome on the second one (EDIT: or the first, for that matter): I just couldn't get 2019!Joker's hands right, and 2008!Joker's face doesn't look quite right to me.
Attachments
OG hells angels cleanup.png
look at these two jokers.png
Last edited by c_nordlander on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:59 pm

I really like those! Your rendition of Groening faces is very convincing and confident, and you gave them very distinct looks and expressions. Would really like to see that coloured!

Jokers pic is very impressive. You chose a challenging angle and pose for them, which alone deserves respect. I see a bit of awkwardness in 08's legs and the proportion between his upper and lower part. I understand the problem with 19's hands, but his pose is really well done, with a clear sense of movement. Both of their faces look great to me, and I think that's my favourite part of the drawing. I enjoyed it a lot!
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:52 pm

Thank you very much for your comments! I had a good time drawing both.

Fun facts about the Four Bikers pic: in my original sketch, War had a stitched-up cut on her cheek. It made her look even more deranged, but also made her face a bit too "busy." Also, a complete coincidence, but after I finished drawing I noticed that Pollution's laurel crown* looks like it's lost a bunch of leaves, which is just too good.

Your criticism of the Jokers pic is absolutely right, and I'll try to take it into account next time I draw. I find it funny that you like their faces, though: I'm pretty happy with '19's one, but the '08's feels like it's just slightly missing something to me. (Though Graham said he looks "creepy and horrifying," so I guess I'm on the right track.)

Thanks again!

EDIT: I also need to point out that the Four Bikers of the Apocalypse pic, purely without any premeditation on my part, weighed in at THE DEVIL NUMBER kilobytes. I don't want to change it now!

*In the book and miniseries, it was actually a mediaeval-style metal crown (which promptly corrodes when Pollution puts it on), but I'm a classicist, you couldn't stop me from drawing a laurel crown if you tried.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:40 pm

I was bored, so I made a simple sprite version of the insignia of my Space Marines chapter, the Destroying Angels. Also seen here on the armour of Cmdr. Ríastrad.

The flaming cup represents the wrath and destruction they will unleash upon the Emperor's enemies, while the wings stand for their name and their status as a daughter-chapter to the Dark Angels.
Attachments
angeli destructionis sprite.png
angeli destructionis sprite.png (697 Bytes) Viewed 8987 times
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat May 09, 2020 12:34 am

Decided to try to improve a picture I drew in Creativity Hour. A creepy picture of the Joker and Sophie from the new Joker film. I'm really trying to get better at art, so if anyone sees anything that needs fixing, let them speak now or... speak later, I guess. I'm still in the process of cleaning it up, so no need to mention that.

EDIT: Reuploaded after fixing an annoying perspective error.

~

Then there were the little clamorous voices inside her skull, trying to normalize it. Really, the Joker was as much of a prisoner as she was; on the run from the law, after all. Of course she couldn't leave their hideout, not until her face had healed. Plenty of couples played little games in the bedroom, and plenty of boyfriends could be a bit rough, in their passion or from jealousy. It wasn't as if she hadn't given him his share of bruises, either. He'd taken her away from her job and her flat, neither of which she missed. What had he done that was actually bad? He'd taken her from her daughter, and whose fault was that? If only she'd stop being so stubborn and give him GiGi's whereabouts, she could have her kid here with them on the same day.
Sometimes in the evenings he curled up around her and told her wild stories about how she'd ended up in this life. At first they were fairly close to her memories; he'd burst into Gotham Savings Bank to spirit her away from her nine-to-five existence, and she'd got the wounds accidentally, running from him and stumbling face first onto something. Then he and his henchmen had actually come to save her from another gang robbing the place. Then a story where he'd busted her out of the police station during the Clown Riots, fingers still clutching hard-plastic shreds of mask.
She found herself enjoying the stories, because at least then he wasn't doing anything else. She knew they weren't true, but sometimes it was nice to pretend.
Attachments
behind the smile2.png
Last edited by c_nordlander on Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat May 30, 2020 8:54 pm

Think I'm getting better at spriting faces.

He's some sort of forest nymph style being (in this world, nymphs aren't necessarily female), thence his luminous pupil-less eyes and rules-screwing hair.
Attachments
the head.png
the head.png (954 Bytes) Viewed 8132 times
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:41 pm

I got some positive comments on previous versions, so I decided to colorise my drawing of the Four Motorcyclists of the Apocalypse from Good Omens. I decided to go with a bit of a darker shade of red for War's hair to make it more distinct from her bike jacket, plus it just suits her better. Con-crit welcome.

Red=War, black=Famine, white=Pollution, the other one=Death.

B/w original here. Sadly, the file size is no longer 666 kB.
Attachments
OG hells angels cleanup.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon