Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

REVIEW: [UABF09] Pretty Whittle Liar

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:45 am

Spoiler
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Re: REVIEW: [UABF09] Pretty Whittle Liar

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:25 am

They do have this odd obsession with the spucklers that is I really don't get
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:36 am

Yeah, sounds like another case of "everyone likes this side character, right?" And even more pointless than that Crazy Cat Lady segment in "Homer Simpson, This Is Your Life".
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:00 am

Thing is... okay confession, if Crazy Cat Lady was just in her one episode? I'd be calling her one of the best single-joke characters out there along with the evil street sweeper from Bart Sells His Soul.
Spoiler
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:46 pm

I think also... this is admittedly a problem with a lot of Lisa's plots along this line but something about this one feels especially elitist since the A plot had signs of it too. They mostly if not all have this thing where literally everyone but Lisa and one or two people, usually guest stars, are subhuman dreck with no value and only geniuses like her have any value. Been looking into Jehovah's witnesses out of curiosity and it's almost exactly like they see "worldly" people. At best, they're unwashed masses pointlessly cruel and wicked and love to persecute "us" and if not saved should be left to rot. The writing was so patronizing that they clearly saw us as total imbeciles this week.

I think that might actually be the thing that really rubs me the wrong way about most Lisa plots. It's not like the standards Lisa sets are at all possible for most adults to reach in real life and that anyone below her is villified... sometimes even Martin, the only other character that hasn't been lobotmized to serve the plot. You're really gonna say SKINNER can't tell use the sentence "I am not amused" right and goes for "bemused"? Really?

A Ms MAgazine interview said that most of the writers see themselves as Lisas, in which case... *whistles* that's some raging narcissism there.
------
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:51 pm

Haven't seen it myself, but what you describe really sounds dire.

(And yes, Crazy Cat Lady would have been great if she'd only ever been in one episode. I feel the same way about Duffman.)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:55 pm

Well, let it out of spoilers because it is more than just one episode. It's most of the Lisa-at-school plots nowadays.

And tbh, it wasn't like that back then. Early seasons Lisa didn't fit in because she was just out of touch and had weird priorities. The latter being highlighted by Janey existing. It wasn't like either side back then was straight-up evil or worthless, they just weren't on the same wavelength...
------