"Wings" discussion thread

Take part in our Round Robins. Please note the rules for participating in the robins
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Re: "Wings" discussion thread

Post by D.B. » Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:39 pm

Naa, it's not going to get any better than it is now. Let me know if this messe up whatever you had in mind Chris
Last edited by D.B. on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:03 am

DB... this doesn't mess anything up. In fact, it's brilliant.

Now *I'm* the one who will worry about messing up... but enough of self-deprecation. Your chapter is really, truly good. It opens up a whole new dimension to the drama, yet feels entirely realistic. And what you did with Chastelard senior was pretty much what I was planning, too. Only better.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:58 pm

Heh, funny thing you should mention it, because the "hollow bones" bit was nigh-on the *only* bit I understood. (Yes, I'm not a natural scientist. I took classical languages instead.) Of course, if *all* Lisa's bones had turned hollow, she might have a snowball's chance in Hell of flying.

And Rich is right. This is *good*.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:58 pm

Of course, if *all* Lisa's bones had turned hollow, she might have a snowball's chance in Hell of flying.
Yeah, but she would probably have trouble supporting her own body weight then.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:08 am

well ta you lot. I'm glad people liked it.

In response...Bits of it were a bit heavy/technical, but he is giving a science based presentation, so it needed some big words 'n stuff.
Perhaps I should have hinted at where the bird DNA came from, yes, but at tht time i figured it would be better to leave it open. Now i realise it's probably the first question a scientist would ask, so even if he didn't have the answer Dr C. should have brought it up somewhere  :P
And Trojan is just a name based on how it works - if anyone can make up an acronym, answers on a postcard...

As for hollow wings... i reasoned that if her wings had been constructed using the genes for human bones then their skin should have been coded with the genes for human skin - in which case they would have been hairy instead of feathery (or possibly completely bald and rather reminicent of deep fried chicken wings). Plus it explained how one could break so easily earlier.
Last edited by D.B. on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:10 pm

I think I'd like the next bit. I'll advance the plot...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:58 pm

For all your worrying you did a dang good segment.
The marge stint was good (a subtle birdy referance in her mind having 'pigeonholes' perhaps?) and Chastelard was suitably nervous about the whole meeting (also liked Marge's deciding he was probably ok on account of his vocabulary).

I was hoping someone would show her doing physiotherapy after steve brought it up earlier. You got inside her head quite well, what she was feeling was all very believable again. As for the implications of hairs on the wings and her producing more energy than she's used to :o
- Sydney Brenner
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:14 pm

Yes, a very good new piece, worth the wait. :-) It was very nice to see the physiotherapy, I agree.
As for the implications of hairs on the wings and her producing more energy than she's used to :o
I'd hate to second guess Chris, but I don't think she emant anything earth shattering by it. I think the "fine hairs" refers to the point where her feathers stop appearing as we go onto the shoulder. (since humans are naturally covered in fine, not normally visible hair.) As for the more energy, that sounds to me like Lisa's metabolism adjusting to increased needs or something.
Or maybe Chris did mean something world shattering. Correct me, if you will. :-)
I am curious about what was so Interesting, in the words of Mitch Sweeper.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:51 am

Wow... that was some fast posting.  :)

Steve's right about the hairs, I was just thinking of the normal fine hairs of a human skin. And yes, her metabolism is increasing, that's what I was thinking of.

My apologies to Mitch Sweeper... I couldn't really reproduce his Texan speak patterns.  :)

(Oh, and I was a bit unsure about posting, I know, but my whining yesterday was mostly stress-related. Assessed coursework coming up, and similar. Also, the further this story proceeds, the higher the standards get, because all you folks have posted DARN GOOD segments!)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Re:"Wings" discussion thread

Post by Meteorite » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:15 am

Uh, seeing how the last post was nearly two months ago and I dunno if it was decided in chat to stop, I'm just curious as to if this RR is going to start up again...

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:23 am

It's not officially stopped, it's just... dead. If you're willing to write... please do it!! :)
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by Meteorite » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:38 am

I would like to but I don't think I can post on a regular basis.

Anyway, I'm happy enough just reading it. So thanks for the offer but I think I'll have to past it up for now. :)

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open

Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Thu Mar 27, 2003 2:11 pm

I wouldn't worry about not being able to post on a regular basis, within the next 2 months would do. But if you're happy enough just reading then fair enough.
- Sydney Brenner
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by Meteorite » Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:43 am

Well... if it's fine with everybody then... okay sure! I need to work with a fresh idea anyway.

Although no-one would probably call a story left for two months fresh. :)

D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:23 pm

Actually, a segment of this occured to me last night. It moves the plot on about as much as Homer drinking a can of duff, but there you go. :) If you're still working on a bit for this Alex then say something, otherwise I may try and write it.
- Sydney Brenner