(OPINIONS) (WAVING) "Three Dragons" (1/1)

Get help, post works in progress for feedback and see articles and tutorials written by other writers.
missygal21880

(OPINIONS) (WAVING) "Three Dragons" (1/1)

Post by missygal21880 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:46 pm

The final fic leading up to Laura and Bart's Wedding

SUMMARY: Ling Bouvier is the only member of the Simpson/Bouvier clan to live outside of the tri-state area.  A phone call from her mother inviting her to China for her thirty-fifth birthday sends her to contemplation...
Last edited by missygal21880 on Wed May 10, 2006 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Re: (OPINIONS) (WAVING) "Three Dragons" (1/1)

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:07 pm

First of all, I haven't seen "Goo-Goo Gai Pan" (though I suppose it's an educated guess that Ling doesn't have much of an established character), but I'll review to the best of my extent.

Little to remark on here. The opening is good, and Selma is very in character. Ling seems to have some personality as well, and I'm happy to hear what the future has in store for CBG.
The six-month difference in their ages was miniature and didn't impede the growth of their friendship.
This is really too obvious to need pointing out. Even very young children don't see six months as an age difference to mention.
Ling was an intellectual - Maggie was physical.
Excellent.

I like the bit about Apu's sons. (A nitpick, though: their last name is Nahasapeemapetilon. And I feel like a geek for telling you that.)
Bitterly, Ling recalled the end of her relationship with Sanjeev
Show us how she feels, don't tell us. Other than that, a nice development. I can also quite imagine Apu arranging his children's marriages.

A couple of typoes: "deptuty" and "couldnt'".

The ending is just lovely.

Well, another nice instalment. A bit short, but not overly so, and again, it's nice to see focus on characters outside the Simpson family. Recommended.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missygal21880

Re: (OPINIONS) (WAVING) "Three Dragons" (1/1)

Post by missygal21880 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:58 pm

Chris,

Thank you!

D'Oh - I thought I'd C&P'd Apu's last name out of something on SNPP so I couldn't screw it up too badly. 

Don't worry about Ling's characterization - outside of the fact that she seems to like Homer and is a bit rambunctious, we didn't get much to work with.  I reccomend the episode, though.  It's fairly Not Horrible.