Personal Trainer

Discuss art techniques and styles here. If you need tips or have any questions about artistic style or want to show people some new skills, this is the place.
Morpheus306

Personal Trainer

Post by Morpheus306 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:54 pm

Hey everyone, I'm starting this thread as a means to help anybody out with drawing the simpsons or just drawing in general.  I'm happy to answer any questions you have.  This is also if you want private crit's per request, just post an image and I'll e-mail you the crit,and while they may seem to be harsh, it's all about helping you get better.  I'm doing this to help, not to be mean, hence the e-mail.  I will point out ways for you to improve because that will make you a better artist, if you know the problems and how to fix them.  I'll be posting more tutorial's and I hope to get to all your questions.
Morpheus306

Re: Personal Trainer

Post by Morpheus306 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:04 am

here is a pic of Jessica and a back view to see how her hair works.  She has what is called 'slow eyes' which is her eyes being slightly slanted.  Just be careful not to make them too slanted because she'll look like a bug.  You can use the forehead line with the lip like you mentioned, actually all characters are like that, you almost have to in order to make them feel solid.  Just remember to use shapes and keep her round.  Post what you come up with and I'll let you know if you're on the right track.
Attachments
Jessica.jpg
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:05 pm

Here's one for you: I've always had trouble drawing the characters from anything other than a 3/4 view, or other similar angles. behind is easy enough, but from the side, or from a back-angle it's very difficult to get the shapes for the head right. And looking up at a face from below just confuses me. That overbite is a pain. ;D
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
SpringfieldHorror
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by SpringfieldHorror » Fri May 05, 2006 5:06 pm

I, well, too, need a bit of drawing help. ^^;
I'm not sure how many times you actually draw these characters but, what's the easiest way I can draw Maggie, Smithers and/or Mr. Burns? =|
Marge: TERRACE! Evergren Terrace, the street that smells like pee.
Morpheus306

Post by Morpheus306 » Sat May 06, 2006 1:42 am

Commisar Geranovich wrote: Here's one for you: I've always had trouble drawing the characters from anything other than a 3/4 view, or other similar angles. behind is easy enough, but from the side, or from a back-angle it's very difficult to get the shapes for the head right.
Any other view besides the 3/4 view is hard to draw these characters in.  The side is very tricky.  Their eyes go to the edge of the head shapes, but the eyes themselves aren't completely round, they are more oval.  The nose is the same shape, same with the mouths, ie. lisa and marge's mouth goes from the eye line to the bottom of the head shape.  As another note, I havn't done a tutorial for maggie yet, but she has one less hair then lisa.  When you're doing these just think of how the shapes are conneted to each other.  If you think of a stirophome ball with two balls connected to it and you turn it, that's what you should be thinking. 
Attachments
simpside.jpg
OARRIAGA2001
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by OARRIAGA2001 » Sat May 06, 2006 2:18 am

Thanks again for the tutorials, Morpheus.  This is going to be handy, too.  Not to mention that the competition is about to start, and members will have a chance to practice them.  So get cracking, people!  ;)
Never judge a book by its cover.....
Gazmanafc
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Gazmanafc » Sat May 06, 2006 2:29 am

Morpheus306 wrote: As another note, I havn't done a tutorial for maggie yet, but she has one less hair then lisa.
I was always told by the "Cartooning with the Simpsons" book that both Lisa and Maggie have 8 points each. So I'm guessing that rule applies to a 3/4 angle?
Morpheus306

Post by Morpheus306 » Sat May 06, 2006 11:44 pm

AwwLilMaggie wrote:
Morpheus306 wrote: As another note, I havn't done a tutorial for maggie yet, but she has one less hair then lisa.
I was always told by the "Cartooning with the Simpsons" book that both Lisa and Maggie have 8 points each. So I'm guessing that rule applies to a 3/4 angle?
There is a debate over how many hairs she has, but I was told by Silverman himself that she has 7 points and lisa has 8.  I'll put up a tutorial for her soon.
Morpheus306

Post by Morpheus306 » Sat May 06, 2006 11:45 pm

O. Perez wrote: Thanks again for the tutorials, Morpheus.  This is going to be handy, too.  Not to mention that the competition is about to start, and members will have a chance to practice them.  So get cracking, people!  ;)
what competition?
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sat May 06, 2006 11:50 pm

Morpheus306 wrote: what competition?
This one here.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Itchy
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Itchy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:41 am

I need some help with drawing Itchy and Scratchy from the behind. I usally use actionfigures when I draw them with their backs facing us, but it dosen't always work very good. If you could post some pics I'd be helpfull.
Extreme Itchy and Scratchy now with 29% more pointless violence than before.
Morpheus306

Post by Morpheus306 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:48 am

Itchy wrote: I need some help with drawing Itchy and Scratchy from the behind. I usally use actionfigures when I draw them with their backs facing us, but it dosen't always work very good. If you could post some pics I'd be helpfull.
man, sorry it took a little bit to post these.  My scanner is't hooked up right now so I'm using the one at work.  Anyway, hope these come in handy.  I kept itchy in red so you could see the construction better, he's a bit more complicated than scratchy.
Attachments
Itchy.jpg
Scrathcy.jpg
Itchy
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Itchy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:47 am

Thanks a ton! Those will be very helpful when I draw the comic
Extreme Itchy and Scratchy now with 29% more pointless violence than before.
addictive
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by addictive » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:16 pm

I always have trouble dwaring characters that don't have big eyes. Except Jeff Albertson, I can draw him pretty well. Since the Simpson family members all have big eyes, I can draw them quite well.
Find Me, A poem by Chris Dominowski.

If I am lost, and you do not care, will the search ever be fair?
Why am I here? What should I do?
The answer to this, I once knew.
Why should I be found if I always must hide?
I have tried so hard, my soul has died.
Over the years, In fear I have drowned. It is finally clear; I cannot be found.

Human, a poem by Chris dominowski

I wear sunglasses at night, but I carry a flashlight.
I turn from the flame, but stare at the ashes.
I walk into the woods, and never touch the trail.
I always look at my calander, but do not care what day it is.
I am the mixture of light and darkness; I am human.

Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Officer 1BDI » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:48 pm

I have trouble with proportions when it comes to drawing young children and infants: limbs usually turn out too long, and heads often too large or small.  Do you have any tips on how to draw, say, Maggie or any of Apu's toddlers?
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"