I'll give it a shot

soylentOrange

I'll give it a shot

Post by soylentOrange » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:47 pm

I don't know what I'm going to write about, but I'll try to come up with something. 
Kim
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Re: I'll give it a shot

Post by Kim » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:47 am

Sweet, you joined here and are going to try this too, soylent?  ('Tis km von PEEL).  This has now been knocked up a notch.
Your industrious prolificness quite boggles the mind.

Goes without saying - Looking forward to whatever you might produce. ;D
soylentOrange

Post by soylentOrange » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:59 am

Hey kim  :fry  Yep, I'm going to try my hand at this.  Dunno if it'll go anywhere, but who knows?  Good luck on your own entry!
Kim
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Kim » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:57 am

My own entry?  Ahahahaha...  I want whatever you're on.
No, no, I haven't attempted any kind of real writing since I was about 16.  Thanks for giving me a bit of a laugh though.

At any rate, as for yours "going anywhere", I'm sure it'll go how most of your other work goes. Very well.
Corvus

Post by Corvus » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:23 pm

soylentOrange wrote: I don't know what I'm going to write about, but I'll try to come up with something. 
With "something"? I would say that it's more than that. Cough, not that I would know anything about it. Oh my no. :D

Yep, I've registered here too. No escape from me. :P
soylentOrange

Post by soylentOrange » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:33 am

Yep, I've registered here too. No escape from me.
Nooooo!   Uh, I mean, Hi Corvus!  ;D 
you joined here and are going to try this too, soylent?

My own entry?  Ahahahaha...   I want whatever you're on.
Oh, I guess I misunderstood...  I thought you were saying that you were trying this contest as well. 

And, since Corvus already blew my cover and has forced me to admit to not being lazy, here are my prelimenary selections for prompts:

beginning: a package arrives
middle: battle over a lava pit
end: the world ends (not sure about this one)
Corvus

Post by Corvus » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:08 pm

soylentOrange wrote:
Yep, I've registered here too. No escape from me.
Nooooo!   Uh, I mean, Hi Corvus!  ;D 
Muahahahahaha... I mean, Hi sO! :P
soylentOrange wrote: And, since Corvus already blew my cover and has forced me to admit to not being lazy, here are my prelimenary selections for prompts:

beginning: a package arrives
middle: battle over a lava pit
end: the world ends (not sure about this one)
Not being lazy eh? Well, considering what I found in my mail box and the state it was in I would say that you are semi-lazy. :D
soylentOrange

Post by soylentOrange » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:08 pm

I'm pretty much done except for some touch-ups here and there. 

Title: Resident Leevil
length: 4798 words.  I can't write things this short!  It's too hard!
plot: A mysterious package addressed to Bender appears at Planet Express.  When it is opened, chaos ensues, and Leela ends up beating the stuffing out of Fry over a pit of boiling lava.  Also, there are zombies.
Kim
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Kim » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:17 am

;D  ;D  ;D

Wait cannot I.
soylentOrange

Post by soylentOrange » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:46 pm

Alright, well here it is:

title: Resident Leevil
length: 4797 words
beginnings: a package arrives
middles: a small event explodes into something world-shaking, battle over a lava pit
endings: things end without resolution

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out, even considering how short it had to be.

edit: Title font fixed, as well as a couple of typos
Attachments
Resident Leevil.doc
(64.5 KiB) Downloaded 627 times
Last edited by soylentOrange on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kim
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Kim » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:17 am

Awesome^17.
I'm pretty happy with how this turned out
You should be.

All right, won't say much on here because I don't wanna jinx you or anything, but oh your various gods, I can't believe you signed your name in Greek - that's what I've been randomly doing in e-mails to a certain someone lately; for about the last couple of weeks!  Seriously.
Your name looks uber-cool like that. ;D

And, as for the story - (and for that matter your writings in general) - you're more 'Futurama' than the movies are.

More comment on PEEL.
Best of fortune with the judging.
soylentOrange

Post by soylentOrange » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:55 pm

Oh, whoops.  That wasn't supposed to be Greek; it was supposed to be Alienese.  I forgot to change the font to a bitmap for people that have machines that can't read it.
Officer 1BDI
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Officer 1BDI » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:41 am

I'm only familiar with Resident Evil on the most basic of levels, so I don't know precisely how much you drew from the series, but I thought this was a great story.  This is what the Halloween episode should have been.
"I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."
Bender and God, "Godfellas"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:41 pm

Technical stuff: dialogue tags shouldn’t be capitalised. So it should be: “What’s it taste like, Fry?” she asked.

I liked this, though I didn’t find it especially memorable. Everyone is in character, as far as I can tell, particularly the main cast, the Professor and Amy. The writing is nice: not stylistically amazing, but with some gems of descriptions, and good lines (I love the newspaper headline at the end). I always love lava pit battles, and this one is no exception. The way the condition is fixed is funny as well. Just generally very good use of the competition plot-points.

On the downside, the plot is nothing special (it’s basically your average zombie horror), and the twist at the end felt a little bit bland. All very minor nitpicks. On the whole, an enjoyable entry, with a good title to boot.

My rating: B+
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
soylentOrange

Post by soylentOrange » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:29 pm

yeah, well, I was going for humor, not for memorability.  Maybe it was a tactical error not to write something shippy, since that's what everyone else did.  I'm just thoroughly sick of writing the formulaic 'and then Fry and Leela get together and everything is awesome" or the "some character dies horribly" type stories. 

Sorry you found the story bland and unenspired.  You're entitled to your opinion, of course.