Chasing a Butterfly...

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
mysti
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Chasing a Butterfly...

Post by mysti » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Here's a sketch of Lisa I drew earlier. Sorry for picture quality. Will colourise it later. Con-crit if you wish. :)
Attachments
catching_a_butterfly.jpg
ImageImage
mysti
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Re: Chasing a Butterfly...

Post by mysti » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:05 am

Two updates. This is the coloured version. The first image is Lisa on her own, i suppose for con crit purpose but also to show the development. Second is the final piece.

The hair is a little off, I know that already.  ;) I still cant master the hair yet
Attachments
chasing_butterflies_final.gif
chasing_butterflies_lisa.gif
ImageImage
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:11 am

Con-critically, it's very stiff. Not a whole lot of life to it. The hem of her dress should be beneath her arms. And I think we should be seeing her teeth with her mouth open like that. ...Actually, she kinda looks like a Muppet.

Also, I'm pretty sure the net should be facing the butterfly.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
mysti
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by mysti » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:00 am

Stretch Dude wrote: Con-critically, it's very stiff. Not a whole lot of life to it. The hem of her dress should be beneath her arms. And I think we should be seeing her teeth with her mouth open like that. ...Actually, she kinda looks like a Muppet.

Also, I'm pretty sure the net should be facing the butterfly.
Duly noted. Thanks for taking the time to reply.  ;)
ImageImage
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:05 am

Hi,

My two cents (well actually it's probably worth one cent...)  :lisa:

I drew this from memory so it might not be super accurate.  My reference book is packed somewhere.  But it might give you some help on Lisas head.  It starts with two circles. Divide that into quarters, space out eight hair tufts (three in each of the two top quarters and two in the rear. The space from the third tuft is used for her ear.), add the second eye and upper lip, finish it off.  A little detail I didn't draw was the pupil is 1/7th the diameter of the eyeball.  Not that I ever actually draw mine that way.

I think the basic idea behind your drawing is good.  The execution just needs to be tweaked.  Give it another shot.
Attachments
lisa 100.jpg
Last edited by kaspired on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
Morpheus306
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Morpheus306 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Lisa's hair is by far one of the more problematic pieces of details on these characters because it's very tricky to get it right.  No offense to kaspired but don't follow what he showed because that is the wrong way to do it.  First of all he was right when he mentioned the 8 tufts however in the drawing next to it he drew 9 so that's not gonna help you.  I included a pic on how it's supposed to look.  Here is what you should be wary of when drawing her hair...

Fig.1- I made the under drawing in blue so you could see it clearly.  This is how you should approach any drawing.  Constructing the forms is a way for you to solidify your drawings, especially when drawing the Simpsons.  You want to think of them as fully three dimensional forms that have weight and mass.  That is where the under drawing comes in because you build the character from the inside out so-to-speak.  With the under drawing in place it's easy to place the details on top.  For the hair, I made a semi circle around the head to indicate how far the hair length is as well as a guide to place the tufts.  The red lines are used to make sure hair lines are parallel.  You want to use every other hair tuft to do this.  The green lines show how the hair tufts line up in relation to each other.  Doing this will make your hair seem solid yet organic because the overall shape is contained, rather than it looking like a mess if you just eye balled it.

Fig. 2- A semi cleaned up version.  With the under drawing done you can go over it either with a darker lead or another piece of paper, whatever you're comfortable with.  I tend to draw with an orange colored pencil then go over it with a .5 mechanical pencil or HB pencil.  There are 8 tufts in total that are divided into 3, 3, 2.  As you can see I placed a line down the middle of her head to indicate where the first 3 tufts will end, as well as a line through the center of her head to indicate where the second tuft of 3 ends.  For the last 2 tufts, some directors make the last tuft smaller than the rest while others make it the same size.  It's more of a judgment call but as long as that last tuft lines up with the first one(see fig.1) it doesn't matter. 

I know it seems complicated, and it is.  This is what we have to go through every time we're called on to draw Lisa.  However the more you draw her the more comfortable you'll become.  Doing her hair is like second nature to me now, but that's after 4 years of drawing her practically every day.  Just keep at it and don't lose focus, you'll be a pro in no time!     
Attachments
LisaHair.jpg
mysti
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by mysti » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:41 pm

Thank you so much both of you for the great responses.  :D :D
Morpheos, I've saved your drawings on my hard drive for future reference. It's a great help. Thankyou again. :)
I gotta say... I have a grudge against Lisa and Maggie's hair! It's so damn complicated to draw! This is why I always drew Bart, his hair is simple. lol

On a final note, i gotta say, Morpheus (not to sound cheesy or brown-nosing hopefully) but I find you a real inspiration. I've followed you on Simpworks since you first joined it and I've learnt so much from you. Always wanted you to review my art here in the past so I'm thrilled you have now. :)
ImageImage
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:11 am

I actually find Maggie's hair harder than Lisa's. That tilted axis always throws me off.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Morpheus306
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Morpheus306 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:23 am

Wow thanks for the compliments mystic.  I'll be sure to post more whenever I can.  I'm here to help so if what I've posted so far is helping people then I'm doing my job.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:57 am

Oh, I did make an oops, didn't I?  Sorry guys.  I'll have to check my drawings closer.  :doh:
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
mysti
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by mysti » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 am

Hi :) been a while. Here's something I drew yesterday morning. I think by change got everything right seeing as I was not using a guide. Can you tell me how on model it is?
Attachments
Lisa
Lisa
ImageImage
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:56 am

I'd say that's very on-model! Also cute.

You'll probably want to post a smaller version of the picture, though. When I clicked it, it became almost too big to look at properly on the screen.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
mysti
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by mysti » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:40 am

Sorry about that, i posted it on my blackberry so i didnt know it was gna be that big! and thanks :) it was practically by accident it turned out so well, one of those flukes! lol
ImageImage
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Gulliver63 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Very nice...I haven't had a bunch of luck with Lisa's hair points and such. I ought to give it a try on the sketch pad like I did with Bart.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie