Talk about whatever you like here!
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Re: Cooking!

Post by Terry Y » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Apple Pie Time! (un-Pony-related)

For the crust: I like to have a full top and bottom crust on my pies, so this will make enough for both to fit on a 9-inch pie pan. Change it up however you like - lattice, for instance.

2.5 cups of all-purpose flour
0.5 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup of chilled butter (in most cases, that'll be two sticks) cut into cubes
6 tablespoons ice-cold water

Combine the flour and salt, then add the butter. Using a fork or a pastry cutter, mash them together until your dough is crumbly. You could use your hands for this, but that will melt the butter, which will lead to a less flaky crust, and make the finished dough harder to work with. Also, it's kinda messy.

Gradually add the cold water to the mix and work the dough until it becomes uniform in consistency. Place in your fridge, and chill for half an hour.

FOR THE FILLING!
Three large Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
A squirt of lemon juice to keep the apples from browning
1.5 cups brown sugar
Dash of kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2oz. your favorite brandy

Mix it all together and let it marinate for 30 minutes to one hour.

On a floured work surface, roll out your dough to about 1/4 inch. Make sure to make the top crust slightly larger than the bottom crust, to allow for shrinkage. Fill the pie and cover with the top crust. I like to add a bit of egg wash to the top for browning, but that's optional.

Bake at 425F (218C) for 40 to fifty minutes. Keep an eye on it, so it doesn't burn.

Leave to cool for one hour before fighting everyone off who wants a piece. I recommend the rolling pin for that job. :D
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:47 pm

Sweet & Sour sauce

So this recipe is basically just this one, with the quantities tweaked sightly, plus some added extras.

Ingredients:
  • Pineapple juice (1 cup)
  • Water (1/3 cup)
  • White wine vinegar (3 table spoons)
  • Soy sauce (1 table spoon)
  • Brown Sugar (1/3rd cup, loose)
  • Cornflour (2 table spoons)
  • Half a red pepper
  • Half an onion
  • Chipotle paste (1 tea spoon)
Method:
  • Chop the pepper + onion and fry them up
  • Add everything else + stir
  • Simmer until thick, then pour all over everything!
It doens't come out with the same neon red colour most chinese restaurant sauces seem to have, but it tastes just right.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: Got a job to do and a husband to "make love to"

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Wow, cool! I'm gonna have to try this sometime.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:04 pm

Chris made some sort of north african pastry thing stuffed with vanilla and almonds and whatnot. Very sugary sweet. It's delicious. Wish I had the recipe, but she'll be along shortly to wave it at you all I'm sure.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Awww! I was just thinking of posting it actually.

These pastries seem to be known as "cornes de gazelle" (gazelle horns) in Europe, but Wikipedia tells me the actual Arabic name is ka'b al gazal="gazelle ankles". Which makes a bit more sense.

I'm posting the recipe I found online: when I actually made these, I didn't have orange blossom water or orange zest, so I used vanilla extract for a flavouring instead and cut out the coating step at the end. Vanilla worked really well, too.

Filling ingredients:
1 1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon orange blossom water
1 tablespoon clarified butter, melted
1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest

Pastry ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons clarified butter, melted
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp orange blossom water
water

Coating ingredients:
1/4 cup orange blossom water
1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar + more for dusting

butter for greasing baking sheets

1. For the filling: pulverise the almonds and sugar to a rough powder, either by pulsing in a food processor or grinding in a mortar. (If using a mortar, don't take too much almonds at once or it will be difficult.) Mix in the other filling ingredients and continue to mix until it forms a stiff paste. Mold into a ball, wrap well, and refrigerate for at least 1h. (If you need to keep the filling for longer, it will keep for up to 48h if refrigerated.)

2. For the pastry: mix the pastry ingredients, either with an electric mixer or manually with a fork, adding as much water as is needed to make the dough come together. Continue to beat ca 2min or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and leave at room temperature for 15min-2h.

3. Preheat oven to 250 Celsius. Grease two baking sheets.

4. Halve the dough and cover one half with a damp cloth while rolling out the other half on a lightly floured surface, to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut fairly large rounds (I used a wide glass as a cutter).

5. With your hands, roll 2 tablespoons of filling (or as much as you think you need) into a ball and place in the centre of each round. Brush the borders of the round with water, using a pastry brush. Fold each round into a half-circle around the ball of filling and press the edges to seal them. (The dough will stretch a bit, so don't worry if it looks like it won't cover the filling.) With a sharp knife, make three small slits on top of each pastry. Bend pastries backwards into a crescent shape and put them on the baking sheets, 1.5 inches apart. Do the same with the other half of the dough. Bake for roughly 10 minutes or until pale golden. (Some sugar from the filling might start melting and bubbling out of them if they're not sealed properly, at least this happened when I did it, but it doesn't hurt the flavour.)

6. Take out the pastries and let them cool for a few minutes. Working quickly, dip each hot pastry in a bowl of orange blossom water, then in the confectioner's sugar. Dust with more sugar if not completely cover. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.

Intensely sweet and really filling, so you won't need to eat many before you're satisfied.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:47 pm

I've been experimenting with baking. it seems to have gone pretty well!

not tasted yet.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Hope they're as tasty as they look!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:35 pm

Tasted. A bit salty, but delicious!

I feel accomplished.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:46 pm

You should. Baking is nowhere near easy.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Tony_Baritone
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Tony_Baritone » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:13 pm

Just avoid any boaking accidents and you'll be fine. Hope they are indeed yummy.
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:16 pm

They look glossy, puffy and delicious. :I
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Terry Y » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:36 am

Holy crap! Where am I? This all seems so...familiar....

I figured my best way to come back would be posting here. :D

So...I love Bob's Burgers. And they came out with a cookbook. The recipes are actually legit, so I've been making quite a few of them.

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:05 am

Terry! Welcome back!

That looks... good grief, I may be drooling a little. It's not hard to tell that you're a professional chef (and apparently a professional food photographer as well, if you took that photo).
Last edited by c_nordlander on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Terry Y » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:50 am

So my wife Jenny got me a nice gift for my birthday: a smoker tube! Basically, it's a hollow metal tube with holes drilled in, and you can fill it with wood chips, seal it up, cover it with hot coals and turn your barbeque into a smoker! It has literally changed my life.

So when I got a whole chicken at the grocery store today, I thought I'd smoke it for about 30 mins before roasting. I was not disappointed.

The bird is seasoned with salt, pepper and a Mediterranean mix Jenny got from a friend. I stuffed it with a whole, smashed bulb of garlic, a lemon (cut in 2) and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. The veggies on the bottom are onions, celery, carrots and fennel.

As I said before, I smoked it for 30 minutes, then transferred it to a 375F/195C oven for an hour, then let it rest for 20 minutes under a tent of tin foil.

This is without a doubt the tastiest chicken I've ever had in my life. To make it even better, Jenny sauteed some Brussels Sprouts, to which we added the roasted veg from the pan.

And now I'm gonna go sleep for a few days.
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:43 am

... I'm hungry now. Well who am I kidding I'm always hungry but especially so now... You're pretty creative with foodstuffs!
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash